How to take control of chronic pain is one for some of us a quest that can take a life time. Chronic pain and I are friends we have been friend for 9 years and I feel like we will be friends for years to come. I have tried so many ways to keep my pain in check. I wanted to share some of what I have learned from going to pain management classes. I hope that they might help you by knowing we are all looking for answers.
Know your chronic pain:
- Where dose your pain originate, from your back, neck, feet, hands, skin, head etc.?
- What gives you relieve?
- How long does it last?
- Does it go completely away or it is it with you always?
- Acetaminophen (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory) – has the fewest side effects.
- Antidepressants which maybe used to treat chronic pain.
- Corticosteroids which are used to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Oral medication acts like a local anesthetic to dull pain.
- Anticonvulsants can ease pain that starts in the nerves.
- Topical analgesics-cream or a patch can numb the skin ans reduce the pain.
- Cooling sprays directly on the skin.
- Capsaicin a natural substance found in chili peppers use cation and gloves when applying to pain area. Keep away from eyes.
- Nerve blockers
- Epidural steroid injections
- Tiger points injections
These methods of chronic pain relief work well for a lot of people there are risk involved when using medications, be sure to discus the side effects with your doctor this is your responsibility.We are all looking for relief and what works for one person may not work for you and if you tried it for one type of pain and it did not work doesn’t mean it won’t work for the pain that you are having now. Get all the facts, educate yourself before you jump in with both feet.
Alternatives to taking medication
- Pain management classes
- Message therapy
- Herbs (discuses with doctor especially when taking medications)
- Botox injections
While I am not a doctor or claim to be one I have live with my friend pain for 9 years and have been keeping it under control for the best part of the last 9 years. So as you read over my post I hope that you may in fact find something that might want to learn more about.
My God, my rock, in Him will I take refuge;my Shield and the Horn of my salvation; my Stronghold and my Refuge, my Savior- 2 SAMUEL 22:3